Tuesday 7 July 2015

Quirky felted sea life


I recently took a very interesting three day solid form felting workshop with Andrea Graham. It was a fun and inspiring session and I would highly recommend it.
Andrea has developed some different and valuable techniques that combine needle and wet felting. While I have been experimenting with this idea before, her workshop really helped me take a quantum leap.
My previous experimentation with silk lap on felt got me thinking about making a fish with iridescent scales so when I went to the workshop and saw Andrea's whimsical little pods, quirky fish immediately came to mind and voila: the parrot fish and flying fish in the background. I am hooked and went on to make the bubble fish in the foreground and am working on a sea horse - apparently there is a ocean of creatures to explore. Interestingly, the silk lap did not give me the same scaley look on the bodies, presumably because there is not much shrinkage with this method - still attractive though.

No comments:

Post a Comment